Sunday, May 31, 2009

Telemark




Telemark skiing is a beautiful style of skiing which I enjoy each winter. A few days ago I came through the area where the Norwegian, Sondre Norheim, developed the telemark skiing style on a shaped ski back in 1866 and subsequently won many ski competitions. I found a museum in Mørgetal where he was born and learned to ski. There is an Olympic flame here which has been lit several times for the 1952 Oslo and 1994 Lillehammer Olympics. The drive up over the Hardanger Vidda was just as amazing as the Jotunheimen area, good elevation, lots of snow and would be good skiing if I brought my skis. It was windy and quite cool, +5C.

One thing that distinguishes Norway (other than the fjords, petroleum and fishing) are the Stave churches. There are only about 32 left in Norway and I seen 3 I have never been to, including the one in Heddal, which is Norway's largest one. These are made entirely of wood and preserved on the exterior with a pine tar pitch that coats it black\brown and smells of burnt pine. Very unique and with great wood carvings inside, and a roof like the inside of a Viking boat.

Found a nice hostel in Kongsberg, cycled to the silver mines there and drove into Oslo early yesterday. Today is +25C just north of Oslo, and I went out for a 50km ride in the sun which is supposed to last until rain comes again Tuesday. My flight is 11:30am Monday so I will miss it.

Food has been good - lots of whole grain and wheat breads, sliced cheese (ost) and meats, 3 kinds of herring and musli with coffee for most breakfasts. Two buns have become my favorites - skolebolle (school roll), a pastry with custard, icing and coconut and cannellebolle, a cinnamon roll. Weiner pølse is a great tasting hot dog. While staying in Stavanger, on Talgje, Benjamin's mom made several special dinners - the best was crepes with butter and blueberry preserve that accompanied a yellow pea soup with sausage, potato (potet) and carrots 8 (gulrot)in it. Fresh tomatoes (tomat) and cucumber (agurk) accompany breakfast, lunch and dinners.

Well, tonight I must re-pack my bike and all the gear. The helpful people and beautiful countryside have made this a great tour. I will add some photos when I return home - my USB card reader did not work.
Hade bro, have a good one,
Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment